Ethical Fashion (old)
Do you know how your jewelry is made?
What Is Ethically made Jewelry?
✔ Mine-free Silver
✔ Recycled Silver
✔ Career support for artisans
✔ Beyond living wages for all workers
✔ Worker safety
✔ Third-party auditing each year
The conscious consumer, who demands to know the story behind a fashion product, could lead the charge for transparent, ethical production. Consumer behaviour can become a solution. Money is a language and when spoken fluently, can be a powerful tool for change. A clientele that respects craftsmanship, authenticity and transparency. For the millions of people who love the constant newness of fashion, there are others who value the beauty of the story as much as the design itself. A very influential, well-educated minority is demanding humane products and transparency from fashion brands, leading a shift that is happening around the world.
- MINE-FREE means that the silver that we use in our jewelry process comes from recycled silver not directly from mines. Silver mining is the most environmentally destructive part of our jewelry making process and sourcing from recycled silver greatly lowers this negative impact on our environment.
- RECYCLED means that we use recycled silver in our jewelry making process and take steps at each stage of our production process to recycle silver. For over 30 years Boma Jewelry has recycled its silver back into its jewelry making process to recycle, reduce waste and reuse.
- ARTISANS by definition is a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand. All Boma Jewelry is handmade by artisans.
- LIVING WAGE is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. Needs are defined to include food, housing and other essential needs such as clothing. All Boma Jewelry is made by workers who earn wages above the required minimum requirements of the law of Thailand.
- AUDITING means that we invite third party auditors who work with international standards to inspect our facilities annually to share feedback on health and safety, the environment and business ethics. The facilities where Boma Jewelry is made is audited each year.
- WORKER SAFETY means that workers are assured safe and healthful working conditions by setting and enforcing standards and by providing training, outreach and assistance. All Boma Jewelry is made with silver that is OSHA Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) certified and ISO-9001 (QMS) certified and ISO-14001 (EMS) compliant.
- Q&A WITH OUR CEO:
- Question: Why is it important to wear ethically-made jewelry?
- Answer: Many consumers trust the retailers and brands they buy their jewelry from to adhere to basic standards of ethical production namely not using toxic chemicals and following basic safety regulations for the workers who make their products everyday. Sadly, this is not always the case. We are all aware of the consequences of worker safety with the Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh that killed over 1,100 workers (source). Within the jewelry industry, recent studies by non-profit groups in the United States have found nickel, lead and cancer-causing toxins and chemicals in jewelry sold in large retailers across America (source). As someone who has grown up around my family’s company and worked closely with our workers to set the highest standards for jewelry making, we are extremely proud to show our customers our sources, our process and the people involved in our jewelry making process. For us it’s not a reaction to a trend in ethical fashion but rather a lifelong dedication to jewelry making that extends over generations as well as a vision for building and supporting a sustainably-minded business for the long term.