Why is my jewelry tarnished?
Your Boma Jewelry is made with sterling silver which has been the jewelry standard since the 14th century. Sterling silver is made up of pure silver with a mix of alloys with a small amount of copper. 100% pure silver is not used for jewelry because it would be too soft and not keep its shape. It is the mixture of 92.5% silver with 7.5% alloys that allows sterling silver to offer the luster we love, with durability needed for jewelry and other household goods.
However, naturally over time any sterling silver jewelry exposed to air will tarnish. Usually it is caused by the other metals mixed with your jewelry, typically copper, that makes sterling silver tarnish. The copper reacts to moisture and sulfur in the air, causing the tarnish. Sterling silver will tarnishes faster in areas with high humidity and air pollution. Additionally, chemicals like hairspray, perfume, deodorant, body lotion, bleach, etc., can speed up the tarnishing process.
The good news is that silver can be restored to its original luster with the proper care and cleaning techniques. Learn more about how to remove tarnish below.
How do I remove the tarnish on my jewelry?
A simple, at home solution to removing tarnish from your jewelry requires a few simple household ingredients that are natural, non-toxic and safe to use for your jewelry. You will need:
MATERIALS & INGREDIENTS:
- glass jar
- good quality witch hazel or white vinega
- baking soda
- soft bristle toothbrush
- virgin coconut oil (optional)
- high-quality polishing cloth (optional)
- Place your jewelry in a glass jar.
- Pour in a ½ cup of vinegar or witch hazel so that it covers your jewelry. Add one drop of virgin coconut oil and mix gently with your fingers.
- Allow your jewelry to soak in the mixture overnight.
- The next morning, coat your jewelry with a tablespoon of baking soda
- Use an old toothbrush to scrub your jewelry thoroughly but gently to brush all surfaces of your jewelry.
- Lastly, rinse your jewelry with room temperature water.
- Leave it out to dry.
For a polished finish, use a high-quality polishing cloth to make your jewelry shining.
Boma sells industry grade polishing clothes which you can browse here.
How do I prevent tarnish?
All Boma Jewelry purchases are packaged with an anti-tarnish strip and compostable air-tight plastic bag. We suggest that when your jewelry is not worn that you store your jewelry in this air-tight bag including the anti-tarnish strip.
Where can I get a professional-grad polishing cloth?
Boma Jewelry sells polishing clothes in two sizes. You can show from the options below: